Chocolate-Dipped Phyllo Sticks Recipe
Looking for something a little special to bake up for the holidays? Try these elegant crunchy treats from our Test Kitchen. They’re great with coffee or alongside sorbet and sherbet. HOLIDAY TIP: Bake an extra batch or two of these dainty pastries. Wrap in colored cellophane and curly ribbons as quick take-home gifts for yuletide visitors!
- 4 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cooking spray
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- 1/2 ounce white baking chocolate, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. Cover with a second sheet of phyllo; brush with butter. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- 2. Cut phyllo in half lengthwise. Cut each half into five 4-1/2x2-3/4-in. rectangles. Tightly roll each rectangle from one long side, forming a 4-1/2-in.-long stick. Combine sugar and cinnamon. Coat sticks with cooking spray; sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar.
- 3. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough, butter and cinnamon-sugar.
- 4. In a microwave, melt semisweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of phyllo sticks in chocolate; allow extra to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Drizzle with white chocolate. Yield: 20 sticks.
1 phyllo stick equals 38 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 18 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC