Chocolate-Dipped Macaroons Recipe
These macaroons have got a great homemade feel to them. The chocolate and coconut combination make them a very rich treat that everyone seems to love. --Joylyn Trickel
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min./batch + chilling YIELD:60 servings
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in coconut and almonds, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 275° for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Dip the bottom of each cookie in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate is set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 5 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 59 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 21 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC