These macaroons have got a great homemade feel to them. The chocolate and coconut combination make them a very rich treat that everyone seems to love. --Joylyn Trickel
Recommended: 30 Recipes for Valentine's Day Cookies
- 5 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 4 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 12 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, melted
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 275°.
- Add vanilla to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in coconut and almonds, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets, 2 in. apart. Bake until firm to the touch, about 25 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip bottoms of cookies in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Dipped Macaroons in Test Kitchen Favorites 2004 2005, p291
Reviews for Chocolate-Dipped Macaroons
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review