- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 2-1/2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in German sweet chocolate, coconut and pecans.
- Roll into 3/4-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip tops of cookies into chocolate mixture; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Chill 1 hour or until firm. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate-Dipped Coconut Snowballs
"These cookies are awesome! However, one glance at the recipe and I could tell this wasn't going to make 5.5 dozen cookies. I doubled the recipe for the cookies and got about 5.5 dozen. I used a single recipe for the topping, and that was more than enough to generously top and coat the 5.5 dozen cookies. I also mistakenly melted and cooled the German chocolate before adding it to the dough, but I'll try adding the chopped chocolate next time. I'll definitely be making these again!"