Chocolate Dipped Brownies
My family calls these bars "the world's chocolatiest brownies" and is more than happy to gobble up a batch whenever I make them. They're a deliciously merry part of our Christmas cookie collection.
-Jackie Archer, Clinton, Iowa
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + freezing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Chopped pecans, jimmies and/or nonpareils, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring the sugar, butter and water to a boil over
- medium heat. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup chocolate chips and
- vanilla until smooth. Cool for 5 minutes. Beat in eggs. Combine the
- flour, salt and baking soda; add to chocolate mixture. Stir in 1 cup
- chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35
- minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place in the freezer for 30-40 minutes or until firm (do not freeze
- completely). Cut into bars.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining chips and shortening; stir
- until smooth. Using a small fork, dip brownies to completely coat;