Chocolate-Dipped Apple Rings
These apple treats are a staple in my Christmas goody packages. Sometimes I add an 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne to the cinnamon mixture for a little extra kick. —Laurie Bock, Lynden, Washington
72 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 2 hours 20 min. + standing
- 2 pounds medium apples
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Assorted sprinkles or small candies
- Preheat oven to 225°. Core apples and cut crosswise into 1/8-in.
- slices. In a shallow bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Dip apple slices
- in sugar mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Arrange in a
- single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 1-1/2 hours. Turn; bake 50-60 minutes longer or until apples are
- dry and slightly shriveled. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, melt
- chocolate; stir until smooth. Dip apple slices in chocolate; allow
- excess to drip off. Place on parchment or waxed paper; decorate with
- sprinkles as desired. Let stand until set. Store in airtight
- containers. Yield: about 6 dozen.