Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cream Filling Recipe
Moist, tender chocolate cake conceals a marshmallow filling in these delightful treats. They’re yummy even without frosting.
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Assorted Christmas sprinkles and candies
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the boiling water, cocoa and coffee. Stir until cocoa is dissolved; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in cocoa mixture and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- 4. Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. Combine hot water and salt; stir until dissolved. Cool. In a large bowl, beat the marshmallow creme, shortening and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add the confectioners sugar and salt mixture. Beat until fluffy.
- 6. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small tip. Fill with marshmallow filling. Push the tip through the top to fill each cupcake.
- 7. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Add confectioners sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles and candies as desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
1 frosted cupcake (calculated without decorations) equals 328 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 211 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC