- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Chocolate frosting and multi-colored sprinkles
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles. Yield: 16 cupcakes.
Reviews for Chocolate Cupcakes
"Just finished making these and was pleasantly surprised how light and delicious they were. Will definitely keep on file and make again."
"So yummy and easy to make! Not too sweet either."
"love the chocolate so yummy tummy tubs want more"
"Mixed reviews concerned me, but this is a great recipe. I think anyone who is disappointed with the chocolate taste might consider the brand of cocoa used.Also, a little bit of strong coffee enhances almost any chocolate recipe."
"So chocolatey. Good with cream cheese frosting:)"