Chocolate Crunch Pie
This rich, fudgy pie came from an aunt of a good friend. The recipe makes two pies, which seem to quickly disappear at holiday gatherings.
Jo Ellen Greenhaw, Athens, Alabama
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line unpricked pastry shells with a double thickness of heavy-duty
- foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set
- aside; remove foil. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk eggs and sugar
- until blended. Add butter and chocolate chips; cook, whisking
- constantly, until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a metal
- spoon. Stir in the pecans, coconut and vanilla.
- Pour into pie shells. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake at
- 350° for 20-25 minutes or until puffed.
- Yield: 2 pies (6-8 servings each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 468 calories, 30 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 248 mg sodium,