Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Recipe
Making ice cream goes smoothly when you do prep work in advance. I make the custard ahead and refrigerate it overnight. Plus, I toast the almonds beforehand and separate my add-ins into labeled containers. —Rosalie Peters, Caldwell, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar. Stir in coffee granules and bittersweet chocolate.
- 2. In small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- 3. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 4. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; spread melted semisweet chocolate to 1/8-in. thickness. Refrigerate for 20 minutes; chop coarsely.
- 5. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with custard; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.)
- 6. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. For each batch, stir in some of the chopped chocolate, almonds and toffee bits. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 675 calories, 46 g fat (25 g saturated fat), 182 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC