Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 cups 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate baking chips, melted and cooled
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 3/4 cup Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate toffee bits
- In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in 1/2 cup sugar until dissolved. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar. Stir in coffee granules and bittersweet chocolate. Whisk in a small amount of hot milk mixture. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; let stand for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer to a large bowl; stir in cream and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; spread melted semisweet chocolate to 1/8-in. thickness. Refrigerate for 20 minutes; chop coarsely.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full with custard; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Stir in some of the chopped chocolate, almonds and toffee bits. Refrigerate remaining custard until ready to freeze. Stir in remaining chocolate, almonds and toffee bits. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Reviews for Chocolate Crunch Ice Cream(2)
Sort By :
My family doesn't like chocolate ice cream, but they devoured an entire batch in less than 20 minutes. I like serving the mix-ins on the side. The texture is so smooth that some prefer it without the mix-ins.
This is a wonderful recipe. I've made it more than once with great results. I did not make the "add-ins", and it was fine w/o them.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Ice Cream >
- Chocolate Ice Cream Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream >
- Homemade Ice Cream >