Chocolate Creme Cakes Recipe
Moist layers of chocolate cake sandwich a sweet and creamy filling in this irresistible recipe shared by Faith Sommers of Beckwourth, California. "The yummy treats are handy to keep in the freezer for lunches and after-school snacks," she notes.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the cake and pudding mixes, oil, water and eggs. Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a small saucepan, combine flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- 4. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy; beat in milk mixture until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- 5. Split cake into two horizontal layers. Spread filling over the bottom layer; cover with top layer. Cut into serving-size pieces. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Remove from freezer 1 hour before serving. Yield: 12-18 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 389 calories, 24 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC