- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the whipping cream. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top with cream cheese mixture. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Torte
"This is a family favorite often requested for birthdays. The frosting recipe makes enough to cover the whole cake."
"This was sooooooo yummy and easy to make! The chocolate frosting on top is especially delicious. I don't feel that the amount of whipping cream and confectioners' sugar made enough for the filling. Next time I would increase that--perhaps even double it. Overall, this was outstanding!!"