Chocolate Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add the flour and cocoa all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- 2. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until set and browned. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream and strawberries. Fill bottom halves of puffs; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 15 servings.
1 each: 331 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Puffs
"I thought the cream puffs themselves were a little blah and could have used some sweetening. The filling, however, was fabulous. I tried serving the leftover filling in dessert bowls like a mousse, and I topped each with a dollop of slightly sweetened whipped cream and some mini-chocolate chips. Yummy! Yum! Yum!"
"These were absolutely fabulous. The only thing I can state is that they taste better after sitting in the fridge for a while rather than serving them immediately as suggested in the recipie. Had a lot of filling left over and my husband just ate it with a spoon out of the bowl."
"As an alternative, stuff with ice cream instead of cream cheese and top with hot fudge and whip cream. Yummmmmmmmm"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.