Chocolate Cream Puffs Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add the flour and cocoa all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until set and browned. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream and strawberries. Fill bottom halves of puffs; replace tops. Serve immediately. Yield: 15 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Puffs(3)
Sort By :
I thought the cream puffs themselves were a little blah and could have used some sweetening. The filling, however, was fabulous. I tried serving the leftover filling in dessert bowls like a mousse, and I topped each with a dollop of slightly sweetened whipped cream and some mini-chocolate chips. Yummy! Yum! Yum!
These were absolutely fabulous. The only thing I can state is that they taste better after sitting in the fridge for a while rather than serving them immediately as suggested in the recipie. Had a lot of filling left over and my husband just ate it with a spoon out of the bowl.
As an alternative, stuff with ice cream instead of cream cheese and top with hot fudge and whip cream. Yummmmmmmmm