"Our teenage son, John, has done lots of 4-H baking," reports Mary Anderson of De Valls Bluff, Arkansas. "His favorite is this old-fashioned creamy chocolate pudding in a flaky crust."
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Whisk 1 cup hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Cool for 1 hour. Chill until set. Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Cream Pie in Taste of Home October/November 2000, p8
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review