- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Whisk 1 cup hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Cool for 1 hour. Chill until set. Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Pie
Sort By :
Dx'd with Type-2 diabetes and went on low carb diet. I could not believe this pie, being my all-time favorite, was not going to grace our table again. Put the wheels to work and subbed a non-sugar sweetener for the sugar in this recipe and then made a crust from almond flour, a bit more sweetener and butter. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with the results! Any reservations you have about this pie can be eliminated. The recipe as written is the most requested pie I make. Now I just make it so I can enjoy it again!
I was skeptical of adding the water but went ahead and followed the recipe as written. I did not use a deep dish pie shell and had some filling left over. I enjoyed every bite of that. My only suggestion is if you do make this positively lovely chocolate cream pie, please use a deep dish pie shell! Otherwise, you might have to do like I did and eat the extra. My pie is cooling as we speak and I am delighted with the results. Very happy to serve this for tonight's dessert!!
I made this pie for our church's fifth Sunday dinner and everybody loved it. I spread the whipped cream on top and used som choc. chips to garnish
This was the first time making chocolate cream pie from scratch for me, but I did it and the family and friends loved it!!
I thought this was the best chocolate filling I have ever had. My family raved about it as I made it for Easter.