- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 5 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped topping
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Whisk 1 cup hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool slightly. Pour warm filling into pastry shell. Cool for 1 hour. Chill until set. Just before serving, garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Pie
"This is the best chocolate pie I've ever had!! Family could tell right away that it was homemade and not instant pudding mix. I actually just use a graham cracker crust for it, and it could really make two pies! Sometimes, I'll use the extra stuff to make little cup desserts, layering the pudding and whipped cream. Yummy!!!!"
"Dx'd with Type-2 diabetes and went on low carb diet. I could not believe this pie, being my all-time favorite, was not going to grace our table again. Put the wheels to work and subbed a non-sugar sweetener for the sugar in this recipe and then made a crust from almond flour, a bit more sweetener and butter. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am with the results! Any reservations you have about this pie can be eliminated. The recipe as written is the most requested pie I make. Now I just make it so I can enjoy it again!"
"I was skeptical of adding the water but went ahead and followed the recipe as written. I did not use a deep dish pie shell and had some filling left over. I enjoyed every bite of that. My only suggestion is if you do make this positively lovely chocolate cream pie, please use a deep dish pie shell! Otherwise, you might have to do like I did and eat the extra. My pie is cooling as we speak and I am delighted with the results. Very happy to serve this for tonight's dessert!!"
"I made this pie for our church's fifth Sunday dinner and everybody loved it. I spread the whipped cream on top and used som choc. chips to garnish"
"This was the first time making chocolate cream pie from scratch for me, but I did it and the family and friends loved it!!"