- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and 1/2 teaspoon salt until combined. Fold in chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and remaining sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk the water, oil and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with batter. Drop filling by heaping tablespoonfuls into the center of each. Bake at 350° for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and vanilla; beat until blended. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with pecans. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20 cupcakes.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
"The cupcakes are delicious! I did not use the frosting as I thought the cupcakes were good without it, as another reviewer said. I will definitely be making these again!"
"Moist, tasty, and delicious! My family's favorite. Also good without the frosting. This is a quick go-to desert when my family are coming."
"I made these for a coworker's birthday. I followed the recipe to a T -- and they are probably the BEST cupcakes I've ever had/made. So moist, and once they are totally cooled the filling is delicious and adds the finishing touch to an already delicious treat. I did end up throwing a good amount of frosting away, but I also got 16 cupcakes vs. 20 - I guess they were a little on the big side. But SOOOOO good. I will definitely be making them again for the next special occasion. A coworker described it as decadent. :-)"
"I will have to try this one again... the Taste is amazing but they stuck really bad to the cupcake liners. Not sure if anyone else has had issues with this but its not worth icing them if we can't get them out of the wrappers. I want to try this one again with a cake mix and see if that helps"
"I brought these in to a church potluck and received rave reviews. These went so fast that everyone didn't get to try one of them! Only thing that I did differently was to not include the pecans on top. They were absolutely scrumptious!"
"Fun and easy recipe to make! Also delicious! Will make again in the future!"
"I made this cupcake for my family and iced cookie monster on it. But the chocolate didnt taste that good. The vinegar was to strong or something, but it didnt taste good. And the cream cheese side was ok. But i dont really know if i would make these again."
"I made these cupcakes for a family reunion. They were a hit! Everyone loved them. They were excellent. I will definately make these again.!"
"I have made these cupcakes many many times. They are my ABSOLUTE favorites!!! I've made these for people who don't even like chocolate and they even fell in love with them!!! If you are contemplating making these you need to just do it! They are amazing!!!!! :)"
"I was disappointed in this recipe- the cake didn't have much flavor and the filling had a odd consistency."