Whenever I take these to a gathering, someone will usually announce. "Lisa brought those brownies"—and everyone knows exactly which ones they are! We live on 10-1/2 acres out in the country with our daughters, 7 and 4.
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in extracts and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, butter, flour and vanilla until blended. Pour over batter in pan. Spoon remaining batter over filling. Cut through batter
- with a knife to swirl the chocolate.
- Bake for at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies in Country Woman January/February 1994, p31
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review