- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Stir in extracts and chocolate mixture. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Stir in nuts. Pour half of the batter into a greased 8-in. square baking dish; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, butter, flour and vanilla until blended. Pour over batter in pan. Spoon remaining batter over filling. Cut through batter
- with a knife to swirl the chocolate.
- Bake for at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Cheese Brownies
"I made the following changes: doubled the recipe, using a 9"x13" pan and baking for an additional 10 minutes or so, used a full 8-oz. brick of cream cheese, and substituted bittersweet chocolate for the German's sweet because that was all I had on hand. Really excellent!"
"This was horrible, barely edible. I should have known that 3 oz of cream cheese was not enough. It mixed all together while cooking making the brownies a light brown color. I think they meant 8 oz of cream cheese"
"I used semi sweet chocolate because that's what I had. These taste very moist and really hit the brownie flavor but I was semi disappointed there wasn't more cream cheese flavor but very good, I would make them again."
"These brownies are delicious. I did have to bake longer (7 min) and after cooling I had to put the center few (about 5) in the microwave. Great flavor, otherwise."
"I made this for the guys in our dorm (18 of them), and they ask for it all the time. Best brownie ever!"