- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in milk mixture and vanilla until smooth. Split cake into two horizontal layers; spread filling over bottom cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer.
- For glaze, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and cornstarch. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until glaze is smooth. Cool to lukewarm. Spread over top of the cake. Let stand until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Cake
Sort By :
"Love this cake!! It freezes well, so it's great to have on hand for a last minute dessert"
"I just made this last night - and I'm giving the cake five stars...my execution of it 2 stars!Love, love, love the white filling. It is very close to what is in the hostess bakery products. I don't think it would be nearly as good as the fillings that use cream cheese. The 13 x 9 cake, taken out of the pan and split is VERY hard to do, even when completely cooled. I did it but it looks terrible. HOWEVER, the flavors combined (especially the glorious glaze) are magnificent. I will use this recipe for the glaze for several things in the future......ice cream topping, ganache, etc. It is very very good. All in all a great cake, particularly with some practice. I made no substitutions, just as these directions state."
"I have made this cake twice. Once for a snack for my Sunday School class and once for my sisters church potluck. Wonderful, wonderful comments. It is very good and not hard to make. A little time consuming but bake cake and filling one day and finish recipe the next."
"What a disaster! The cakes slid off of each other, the glaze slid off of the top. End up nothing like the picture. I usually like ToH recipes but this was a complete waste of time and money."
"This cake reminds me of a whoopie pie cake. I have been making this for years ,my kids liked it and still do since 1999. Great Recipe!!"