- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until completely cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and shortening until fluffy. Beat in milk mixture and vanilla until smooth. Split cake into two horizontal layers; spread filling over bottom cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer.
- For glaze, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and cornstarch. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until glaze is smooth. Cool to lukewarm. Spread over top of the cake. Let stand until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Cream Cake
Sort By :
"I just made this last night - and I'm giving the cake five stars...my execution of it 2 stars!Love, love, love the white filling. It is very close to what is in the hostess bakery products. I don't think it would be nearly as good as the fillings that use cream cheese. The 13 x 9 cake, taken out of the pan and split is VERY hard to do, even when completely cooled. I did it but it looks terrible. HOWEVER, the flavors combined (especially the glorious glaze) are magnificent. I will use this recipe for the glaze for several things in the future......ice cream topping, ganache, etc. It is very very good. All in all a great cake, particularly with some practice. I made no substitutions, just as these directions state."
"I have made this cake twice. Once for a snack for my Sunday School class and once for my sisters church potluck. Wonderful, wonderful comments. It is very good and not hard to make. A little time consuming but bake cake and filling one day and finish recipe the next."
"What a disaster! The cakes slid off of each other, the glaze slid off of the top. End up nothing like the picture. I usually like ToH recipes but this was a complete waste of time and money."
"This cake reminds me of a whoopie pie cake. I have been making this for years ,my kids liked it and still do since 1999. Great Recipe!!"
"Has anyone made this cake now with the updated amount of flour given by "Taste of Home"?"