- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks
- form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on
- high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold into
- batter. Fold in strawberries.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and
- cocoa. Beat in butter and milk until smooth. Beat in vanilla.
- Spread frosting over bottom cake layer; top with sliced strawberries.
- Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Dip
- whole strawberries into frosting; arrange around and on top of cake.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.