Chocolate-Covered Maraschino Cherry Cookies Recipe
I first tasted these cookies during a “cookie swap” at work a few years ago. Now I make them every Christmas for our family get-together. People who haven’t had them are always delighted by the “hidden treasure” inside.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- 1. Pat cherries with paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in cherry juice and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- 2. Insert a chocolate chip into each maraschino cherry. Wrap a tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 4. In a microwave, melt remaining chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip tops of cookies in melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on wax paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC