Chocolate Covered Gingerbread Cake Recipe
This recipes takes the homey gingerbread to a new level that will impress your family and friends. I especially like to serve it for the holidays. —Julie Ferron
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the butter, brown sugar, molasses, eggs and gingerroot. Combine the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and cloves; add to the molasses mixture alternately with water, beating just until combined.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, butter and corn syrup; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla until smooth. Let stand until cool but still pourable, about 20 minutes.
- 4. Place a baking sheet underneath the wire rack. Reserve 1/2 cup glaze. Pour remaining glaze over cake; spreading with spatula cover top and sides. Chill cake and reserved glaze until glaze is just firm enough to pipe, about 1 hour.
- 5. Pipe reserved glaze in a decorative pattern over cake. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 piece: 237 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Covered Gingerbread Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC