When I dig out my best cookie recipes, they remind me of baking when my children were little. These thumbprints with cherries elicit sweet memories. —Deborah Puette, Lilburn, GA
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped salted roasted almonds
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 4 ounces milk chocolate candy coating, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-1/4-in. balls. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg white until foamy. Place almonds in a separate shallow bowl. Dip balls in egg white; roll in almonds.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with your thumb. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, beat confectioners' sugar, cherry juice, butter and milk until smooth. Fill each cookie with 1/4 teaspoon filling; top with one cherry. Drizzle with candy coating. Let stand until set. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Covered Cherry Thumbprints in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p26
Reviews for Chocolate Covered Cherry Thumbprints
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review