Growing up, I remember my grandfather cherishing the chocolate-covered cherries we’d bring him for Christmas. He passed away this past year, and I came up with this rich recipe in his honor. It’s delicious served with whipped topping. —Meredith Coe, Charlottesville, Virginia
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/3 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- In a large bowl, beat the sour cream, oil, butter and vanilla until blended. Combine the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to sour cream mixture just until combined. Stir in cherries and chips. Pour into a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cocoa. Stir in hot water until blended. Pour over the batter (do not stir). Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until set. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate-Covered Cherry Pudding Cake in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p31
Reviews for Chocolate-Covered Cherry Pudding Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 10, 2014
"This was so easy & tasted great. I used 2 cups of one type of cherry."
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2014
"Is this a mistake or are there 2 cups cherries?"