Chocolate-covered cherries were my dad’s favorite candy, so I designed these cookies for him. They’re super-cute with a fudgy sauce and coconut surprise inside. —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained and patted dry
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup vanilla frosting
- 48 maraschino cherries with stems, drained and patted dry
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until blended. Gradually beat in cherry juice and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in coconut, cherries and chocolate chips.
- Shape dough into 48 balls (about 1-1/4 in.); place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set and bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Fill each cookie with 3/4 teaspoon frosting. Top with cherries. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spoon over cherries. Let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Covered Cherry Delights in Simple & Delicious December/January 2016
Reviews for Chocolate-Covered Cherry Delights
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review