Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies Recipe
I always make these cookies for family gatherings, and they never last very long. They require a little extra effort, but they're worth it. —Marie Kinyon, Mason, Michigan
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 48 maraschino cherries, blotted dry
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 to 3 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1. In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture (batter will be very firm). Shape into 48 balls, about 1 in. round, and place on ungreased baking sheets. Push one cherry halfway into each ball.
- 2. For frosting, melt chocolate chips in milk in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cherry juice and stir until smooth. Spoon 1 teaspoon of frosting over each cherry (the frosting will spread over cookie during baking).
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 177 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC