Chocolate-Covered Cherry Cookies
I first tasted these cookies during a “cookie swap” at work a few years ago. Now I make them every Christmas for our family get-together. People who haven’t had them are always delighted by the “hidden treasure” inside.
24 ServingsPrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon shortening
- Pat cherries with paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and
- fluffy. Beat in cherry juice and vanilla. Combine flour and salt;
- gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate
- for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Insert a chocolate chip into each maraschino cherry. Wrap a
- tablespoon of dough around each cherry. Place 1 in. apart on
- ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until set and edges are lightly
- browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chips and shortening; stir until