Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe
Not only is this my family's favorite festive dessert, but it makes a delicious holiday present, too. Best of all, you can prepare these ahead. The candy just gets better as it's stored, with the centers becoming even juicier. —Linda Hammerich, Bonanza, Oregon
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 jars (8 ounces each) maraschino cherries with stems , well drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and extract. Knead until smooth and pliable. Shape into 1-in. balls and flatten each into a 2-in. circle.
- 2. Wrap one circle around each cherry and lightly roll in hands. Place with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Holding on to the stems, dip cherries into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in a covered container. Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 206 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC