Chocolate Covered Cherries Recipe
Not only is this my family's favorite festive dessert, but it makes a delicious holiday present, too. Best of all, you can prepare these ahead. The candy just gets better as it's stored, with the centers becoming even juicier. —Linda Hammerich, Bonanza, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:18 servings
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 jars (8 ounces each) maraschino cherries with stems , well drained
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, butter, milk and extract. Knead until smooth and pliable. Shape into 1-in. balls and flatten each into a 2-in. circle.
- 2. Wrap one circle around each cherry and lightly roll in hands. Place with stems up on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Cover loosely and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Holding on to the stems, dip cherries into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper until set. Store in a covered container. Refrigerate 1-2 weeks before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 206 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC