Chocolate-Covered Butter Toffee
This toffee has been a Christmas favorite in our family for over 30 years now. My interest in cooking also reaches back far—to the preparation of those big threshing-day and family dinners when I was growing up in Iowa.
36 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt, water and butter. Cook
- until mixture reaches 285° (soft-crack stage). Add 1/2 cup nuts.
- Pour onto a well-greased jelly roll pan or baking sheet; cool. Melt
- half of the chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave. Spread
- over cooled toffee and sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts. Cool. Turn over
- onto another sheet of waxed paper; repeat with remaining chocolate
- chips and nuts. When cool, break into pieces. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 111 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 60 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.