A hit at state fairs everywhere, make this salty-sweet concoction at home. Some say bacon can't get any better, but we think chocolate makes everything better! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 12 thick-sliced bacon strips (about 1 pound)
- 12 wooden skewers (12 inches)
- 6 ounces white candy coating, chopped
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Optional toppings: chopped dried apple chips, apricots and crystallized ginger, finely chopped pecans and pistachios, toasted coconut, kosher salt, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and coarsely ground black pepper
- Thread each bacon strip onto a wooden skewer. Place on a rack in a
- large baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Combine
- chocolate chips and shortening; melt in a microwave and stir until
- With pastry brushes, coat bacon on both sides with melted coatings.
- Top each strip as desired. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Refrigerate until firm. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 bacon strip (calculated without toppings) equals 212 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium,