I love a soft brittle because the texture is wonderful and different. The flavors in this one remind me of a favorite candy bar. —JoAnn Belack, Bradenton, Florida
Featured In: 20 Barks & Brittles for Extra-Happy Holidays
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup crunchy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Place almond butter in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, at 50% power 30-60 seconds or until softened, stirring once. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 teaspoon water. Set aside almond butter and baking soda mixture.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add remaining butter; cook until candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently, about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in the softened almond butter, almond extract and dissolved baking soda. (Candy will foam.) Immediately pour into prepared pan. Spread to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand until chocolate begins to melt. Spread evenly; sprinkle with almonds and coconut, pressing slightly to adhere. Cool slightly. Refrigerate 1 hour or until chocolate is set.
- Break candy into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Originally published as Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Brickle in Taste of Home December/January 2013, p73
Reviews for Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Brickle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2012
"best candyc everbest candy ever."