- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup crunchy almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate baking chips
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- Grease a 15x10x1-in. pan with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter. Place almond butter in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, at 50% power 30-60 seconds or until softened, stirring once. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 teaspoon water. Set aside almond butter and baking soda mixture.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage), stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add remaining butter; cook until candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), stirring frequently, about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat; stir in the softened almond butter, almond extract and dissolved baking soda. (Candy will foam.) Immediately pour into prepared pan. Spread to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand until chocolate begins to melt. Spread evenly; sprinkle with almonds and coconut, pressing slightly to adhere. Cool slightly. Refrigerate 1 hour or until chocolate is set.
- Break candy into pieces. Store between layers of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: about 1-3/4 pounds.
Originally published as Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Brickle in Taste of Home December/January 2013, p73
Reviews for Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter Brickle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 18, 2012
"best candyc everbest candy ever."