My grandmother used to make this coffee cake every year during the holidays. Now I serve it to my family every Christmas morning.—Debbie Keller, Goose Creek, South Carolina
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add butter, sugar, egg, salt and milk powder; mix well. Add 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a grease bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- For filling, combine chocolate chips, milk and sugar in a saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Stir in cinnamon; set aside. For topping, combine flour, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Punch the dough down; roll into a 20-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with filling. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; seal seam. Place in a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan, with seam facing the inside of the pan. Sprinkle with topping. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes; invert onto a wire rack to cool. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Coffee Cake in Country Woman November/December 1998, p33
Reviews for Chocolate Coffee Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review