Chewy coconut in both the fudgy filling and the homemade pastry crust make this pie a real standout. I mix in chopped almonds for good measure! —Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Featured In: Classic American Pie Recipes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Whipped cream, optional
- Place flour and coconut in a food processor; process until coconut is finely chopped. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, add extract and just enough milk to form moist crumbs. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 10-15 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium heat; cool slightly. Whisk in milks, eggs, vanilla and salt. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with coconut and almonds.
- Cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 30-35 minutes or until center is set. Remove foil. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, serve with whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Coconut Pie with Coconut Crust in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p137
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Pie with Coconut Crust
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review