These yummy striped cookies with a chocolaty twist are easy and fun to make, but they do need some time in the freezer. —Lena Marie Brownell, Rockland, Massachusetts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, finely chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chocolate syrup
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add almond extract and red food coloring to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Add coconut to second portion; spread evenly over first layer. Add chocolate syrup to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with foil; freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
- Unwrap loaf and cut in half lengthwise. Cut each portion widthwise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Coconut Neapolitans in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p9
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Neapolitans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review