Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Cake Recipe
As youngsters, my 10 children always loved this moist fudgy cake with the coconut center. It's still at the top of their request list when my crowd of 46 comes home for the holidays!
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- CHOCOLATE CREAM FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 7 to 8 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a small bowl, beat the egg white and 1 teaspoon vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until glossy stiff peaks form. Fold in the coconut. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, egg yolk, sour cream, and remaining vanilla until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour half of the batter into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Top with coconut mixture; spread with the remaining batter.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine butter, chocolate chips, confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; beat until smooth. Spread over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 piece: 478 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Macaroon Cake
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC