Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- CHOCOLATE LAYER:
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Bake pie pastry. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Beat egg yolks lightly. Stir a little of the hot mixture into the yolks; return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour 1-1/2 cups mixture into small bowl; add coconut to bowl and set aside.
- Combine chocolate layer ingredients; blend into remaining mixture in saucepan. Return to heat; cook and stir until mixture begins to boil. Remove from the heat; spread 1 cup over bottom of pie crust. Top with coconut mixture and finish with remaining chocolate mixture.
- For meringue, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing to edges of pie crust. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool to room temperature; chill several hours before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie(4)
Sort By :
This pie is sooo good. I made it for Thanksgiving and have been craving it ever since. I am making it again on Christmas.
A few changes I made to make it more full of coconut flavor were:
I used 1 tsp coconut extract and 1 tsp vanilla instead of 2 tsp vanilla. I replaced 2 cups of the milk with coconut milk (you could also use light coconut milk, or the kind you buy in the box). I also used coconut sugar as a sugar substitute which is healthier and adds another coconut element to the pie.
I also topped it with homemade whipped cream made with coconut sugar. It was so good!!
I'm going to use shredded coconut next time. I prefer the texture.
It was sooo DELICIOUS... my family doesn't like meringue so I topped it with coconut. The other part I changed was I toasted my coconut and instead of adding 2 teaspoons of vanilla I added one of vanilla and one almond.
Was delicious and a big hit! I skipped the meringue and put coconut on top of the chocolate layer before baking. Looked beautiful!