Chocolate Coconut Candies Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-3/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Optional ingredients: flaked coconut, chopped almonds, sliced almonds and sprinkles
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, coconut, almonds and milk. Shape into 1-in. balls. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chips and shortening on high for about 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Coat or garnish with ingredients of your choice. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Candies
Sort By :
These taste just like an Almond Joy or Mounds Bar! I did not use the shortening. I simply melted milk chocolate chips, and chocolate melts in the microwave (stirring every 30 seconds until smooth) to dip the coconut balls into!
I made these for work for our Christmas sweet week & received so many compliments, saying your candies were the Bomb! Or I don't know which I like better, your peanut butter fudge, these coconut balls or the peanut butter balls! Now I'm making another batch for Christmas day! I use my 1/2 tbsp. for scooping, but I still think this is a tiny bit to big of a bite size since they are soo sweet. I also added 1-1/2 tsp. of almond extract. I chopped my coconut in my chopper to make smaller pieces, thinking this would help more on scooping out smaller portions. After dipping in the chocolate & while still warm, I also sprinkled some sprinkles used for Christmas cookies on top, some with coconut flakes & some with the left over almonds crushed on top. Not only did they look pretty, but they truely were the BOMB!
I left out the almonds and the candies still turned out good, but Extra sweet. I think they would have been way better with some nutty crunch. I 'd also suggest that you chop up the coconut a little before mixing it in.
i love (LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) coconut (at first i spelled coconut wrong)
:) :) :) :)
I had to add a little more sweetened condensed milk than the recipe called for. Really easy to make. :)