- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-3/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- Optional ingredients: flaked coconut, chopped almonds, sliced almonds and sprinkles
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, coconut, almonds and milk. Shape into 1-in. balls. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt semisweet chips and shortening on high for about 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Coat or garnish with ingredients of your choice. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Candies
"We dipped in dark chocolate an they were fantastic ! Added to the list for christmas candy. I'd like to try with milk chocolate. Yum"
"What a disaster. I followed this recipe precisely so I am not sure how this recipe received such great review.There was no way to form the coconut mixture into little balls! The mixture was too thin an unmanageable. I'd say it was just a waste of ingredients if I weren't flying right now from an extreme sugar buzz. Haha.It taste great! From a spoon."
"I didn't use the nuts and they were great. My granddaughter,s favorite candy."
"I used your recipe Its a good recipe I had mixed the ingredients like the recipe called for and I had some trouble making ball out of it . It was to wet even after I had put it in fridge for a couple of hours rather than twenty minutes, still had to roll in chocolate fell apart.But all together taste was really good."
"These taste just like an Almond Joy or Mounds Bar! I did not use the shortening. I simply melted milk chocolate chips, and chocolate melts in the microwave (stirring every 30 seconds until smooth) to dip the coconut balls into!"