Field editor Joanie Ward of Brownsville, Indiana says her sweet treat satisfies both chocolate and coconut lovers.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix with pudding (regular size)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 package (14 ounces) coconut
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Grease two 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Line bottom and sides of one pan with waxed paper; spray with cooking spray. Divide batter among pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes. Cool.
- In a large saucepan, bring sugar and milk to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in marshmallows until smooth. Add coconut. Spread over second cake.
- Using waxed paper, remove second cake from pan and carefully invert on top of filling; carefully peel off waxed paper. Cool completely.
- In another saucepan, bring the sugar, milk and butter to a boil. Remove from heat; add chips and stir until smooth. Add nuts. Pour over cake; cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Coconut Cake in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p67
Reviews for Chocolate Coconut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 3, 2010
"excellent little cake. The only thing I did different was I used an indiviual brownie cake pan. The pan made each cake the same size."