Chocolate-Coconut Angel Cupcakes Recipe
These cupcakes don't taste light at all. In fact, my guests are never satisfied with just one. The meringue-like tops make them different, but the chocolate and coconut make them memorable. —Bernice Janowski of Stevens Point, Wisconsin
- 6 egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Combine 1 cup sugar, flour, cocoa and baking powder. Sift together twice; set aside.
- 2. Add the almond extract, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in cocoa mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently fold in coconut.
- 3. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and top appears dry. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
One cupcake equals 103 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC