Chocolate-Coated Candy Canes Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Red sprinkles, finely chopped pistachios and/or toasted flaked coconut, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, poppy seeds and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough into 36 pieces; shape each into a 6-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; curve the top of each cookie to form the handle of a candy cane.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. Dip the handle of each cookie into melted chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; decorate with sprinkles, pistachios and/or coconut if desired. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without optional toppings) equals 141 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.