- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and yolk. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Spread into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat egg white until foamy; brush over dough. Combine the chocolate chips, nuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cinnamon Squares in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p86
Reviews for Chocolate Cinnamon Squares
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 30, 2010
good; fairly easy & looked nice, too. on the crunchy side