Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup finely chopped nuts, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Additional miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt and remaining water. Stir in 2-1/2 cups flour and cocoa. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with melted butter. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chips and nuts if desired; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 10 slices. Place cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over rolls while slightly warm; sprinkle with additional chocolate chips if desired. Yield: 20 rolls.
1 each: 284 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 161mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
"We found the cinnamon rolls very dry. I even used a cup less flour than the recipe called for."
"Quick question, what kind of cocoa do you use?? Unsweetened or other??"
"I need to double this receipe the next time I make it and I know there will be a next time!!"
"I made these today and the dough is wonderful. The only problem I had with the recipe is the baking instructions that say to bake for 25-30 minutes or till lightly browned. ??? This dough is as dark as a chocolate bar... Still it is a good recipe."
"I made these with my little sister and they turned out so well! They tasted awesome and were not sickly sweet like some cinnamon rolls, but tasty and with a nice chocolate flavor that went well with the cinnamon sugar inside. They weren't too hard to make either."
"I made these with my six year old sister and even though it took all day, they were really worth it! So yummy and not overly sweet like the cinnamon rolls from the tube. We had them as a snack after dinner and then again for breakfast and they were delicious! Perfect except that I might make more cinnamon filling next time. Will definately make again soon!!!!"