Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
These rolls are different from the regular cinnamon rolls. When I take them to my morning bowling league, they are quickly scarfed up.—Myrna Sippel, Thompson, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. YIELD:20 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup finely chopped nuts, optional
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Additional miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the butter, sugar, salt and remaining water. Stir in 2-1/2 cups flour and cocoa. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with melted butter. Combine the sugar, cinnamon, chocolate chips and nuts if desired; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 4. Roll up each jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 10 slices. Place cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Spread over rolls while slightly warm; sprinkle with additional chocolate chips if desired. Yield: 20 rolls.
1 roll (calculated without nuts and additional chips) equals 243 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC