- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- QUICK WHITE ICING:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add shortening, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, egg, cocoa and 1 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour and blend with a spoon until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Stir dough down and turn onto a well-floured surface (dough will be soft). Roll in a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Carefully spread with butter.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over butter. Roll up gently, beginning at wide end. Cut into 12 pieces and place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for icing, cream all ingredients together in a small bowl until mixture is desired spreading consistency. Frost rolls while still warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p47
Reviews for Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls with Icing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review