Chocolate Cinnamon Mud Balls Recipe
A friend's mother who knows I love to cook shared this recipe. These delicious candies won a blue ribbon at our local fair!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:18 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/2 cups (15 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup ground nuts, optional
- 1. Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan; add the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Cool, without stirring, until mixture reaches 110°.
- 2. Transfer to a large bowl; add the cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Beat until light-colored and stiff enough to knead, about 2 minutes. Knead mixture in bowl for 2 minutes or until smooth. Roll into 1-in. balls; cover and freeze for 20 minutes.
- 3. In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Roll in nuts if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 231 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 14 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC