A friend's mother who knows I love to cook shared this recipe. These delicious candies won a blue ribbon at our local fair!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/2 cups (15 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup ground nuts, optional
- Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan; add the first five ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat. Cool, without stirring, until mixture reaches 110°.
- Transfer to a large bowl; add the cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Beat until light-colored and stiff enough to knead, about 2 minutes. Knead mixture in bowl for 2 minutes or until smooth. Roll into 1-in. balls; cover and freeze for 20 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip balls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Roll in nuts if desired. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Cinnamon Mud Balls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p39
Reviews for Chocolate Cinnamon Mud Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review