Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
The title says it all! These extra chocolaty muffins come from Theresa Harrington of Sheridan, Wyoming, who uses nutritious choices like whole wheat flour and applesauce to make the muffins lighter without sacrificing any flavor. And she loves to share them, too. She writes, “We make these for breakfast at the school where I work.”
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 32 muffins.
1 muffin equals 161 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC