- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk together first seven ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 32 muffins.
Reviews for Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
"I thought these were fairly sweet, even with the "sneaky" healthy ingredients. My daughter thought they needed a little more flavor. I topped hers with store bought vanilla icing and she loved them!"
"These were delicious! I ate one for dessert and heated it lightly in the microwave until the chocolate chips were gooey. Excellent muffins! (They freeze well too)."
"Yummy! This reminds me of a wonderful bed and breakfast that served these warm, softly melting and chocolately delicious. I make extra and freeze them. Plus, I add extra chocolate chips on top as the cool off."
"Turned out really moist, and I love the fact that they're healthy. Made them for my boyfriend (who isn't exactly a health food advocate) and he loved them! Definitely will make again."
"Delicious!! We love these...they are easy to make and freeze well."
"Excellent receipe. My Grandchildren love them and they don't like much. Especially since it has applesauce and wheat flour in it but they don,t know it has some good stuff in it. They just know it tastes good! Thanks to the gal in Wyoming!"
"These are so good - and much healthier than other muffins."