Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cake Recipe
It's surprising how perfectly chocolate and pumpkin combine in this two-toned firm cake. This flavorful mixture of ingredients really does take the cake! Laurene Hunsicker, Canton, Pennsylvania
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin, beating well after each addition. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Divide batter in half. Stir melted chocolate into one portion. In a well-greased 10-in. fluted tube pan, sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans. Spoon chocolate batter over pecans; top with pumpkin batter. Sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 494 calories, 25 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 68 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC